Tortuga is seeking a Virtual CFO to support its growth from 7 to 8 figures in revenue.
Tortuga is entirely self-funded, not VC-backed. We believe in healthy, sustainable growth, not growth-at-all-costs. More revenue should mean more profits. More profits should mean more cash on hand.
A growing, capital-intensive business will always be “cash hungry.” Your challenge is to create healthy growth. We are working towards sustainability, not an exit. Profits and savings should grow at the same rate (or better) as revenue. The right kind of growth should make Tortuga more financially secure, not more precarious.
We do not currently have any accounting or finance staff. You will work with our founders, Operations Manager, and accounting firm on the objectives below.
To create a roadmap from 7 to 8 figures in revenue through sustainable, self-funded growth.
- Build a cash flow forecast based on our sales forecasts and P&L budgets. Refine monthly to reflect actual results. Improve budget allocations based on cash flow. Present updates and recommendations to team.
- Use cash flow and sales forecasts to plan for inventory, duty, and freight payments. Supplement with financing via existing lines of credit as needed.
- Create a plan to balance revenue growth with free cash flow. Revenue growth should yield more savings and less debt, not the opposite.
Do Not Apply If...
- You ever get tired of thinking or talking about travel. Our team is passionate about the problems we work on every day (making travel easier) and about our fellow travelers (customers).
- You like working at a big company or need hand holding. We are a small, remote company. There is no HR department. There are no layers of management. If you need something done, you do it.
Read Before Applying
- Systems Thinking: Your job description matches one of our core values: build and improve systems. You should excel at building new systems that can be handed off to others or able to run on autopilot.
- Coaching: In addition to creating the forecasts and models, you must be able to coach our team on using and building on them. Our team’s financial expertise should improve by working with you.
- Taking Initiative: Every company says that it wants to hire self-starters. Remote companies have no choice. You must take initiative and hold yourself accountable to a high standard of work. No one is looking over your shoulder or tracking every minute of your work. If you can’t turn this freedom into results, you won’t be successful working with Tortuga.
- Written Communication: Everyone on a remote team must be a strong writer. We have video calls but communicate far more often in writing (Asana, email, Excel, and Google Docs). You must be able to communicate clearly and concisely in writing.
- Work from Anywhere: Tortuga is 100% distributed. Decide where you work best, whether that's from home, a coffee shop, a co-working space, or another country.
- Unlimited Vacation: You decide how much of a break you need and when. Just promise to tell us about your trip when you get back.
- Free Gear: All the bags and accessories you need for your future travels.